Thursday 31 March 2022

Exe-ploring in Devon. Part 3.

Monday 28th March 2022

Dawned overcast and much cooler than yesterday. It would not be a day for laying about on beaches so I decided to take a ride down the Western side of the Exe estuary to Teignmouth. There were no crowds on the seafront today and hot coffee was more appropriate than ice cream for a walk along the prom’.
 
 Teignmouth Beach
 
At least it stayed dry. I walked out along to the east of the town where the South Devon main railway line runs along the shore edge and shot some photos and video of the trains and then got a train to Dawlish for lunch sheltering from a brief rain shower in the park in the centre of town with a warm pasty from the local bakery. Of course ‘warm’ in pasty terms means something akin to the contents of a volcano and they always seem to get hotter before cooling enough to consume without fear of injury. It must be an anomaly of physics. But a tasty one :-)
 
 Dawlish, South Devon Main Line
 
Dawlish has some very good spots for watching the trains traveling along the seafront - it’s not trainspotting if you don’t write down numbers - and so I got some more footage. Dawlish Station and the area nearby is a bit of a building site still as part of the sea wall repair works so part of the beach is behind barriers. It will be better when it’s finished I’m sure.
 
 Dawlish, South Devon Main Line
 
I hope when they finish the station works there will be more than the one seat on the platform to go with the planned new lighting. And they can fix the dot-matrix sign which inexplicably thought it was at Taplow and couldn’t display any train information :-)
 
I was going to break my journey back to Exeter at Starcross but the weather was looking a little threatening and the seat on the train was comfortable so that will be somewhere to visit at another time. 
 
I had a quiet last evening in Exeter and made an earlier train home the next morning. I enjoyed my first 2022 holiday and given that it snowed today (Thursday 31st) I seem to have timed it just right :-)
 

No comments: