Wednesday 10 July 2024

Online Accounts in Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

 Xubuntu, the XFCE version of Ubuntu Linux does not have an Online Accounts option in the settings menu. I have previously got around this by running the Gnome Control Center from the command line using:

 env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center

 but just recently when I tried this it threw up an error:

GLib-GIO[98054]: ERROR: Settings schema 'org.gnome.shell.app-switcher' is not installed

Much searching of the interwebs ensued but I have managed to fix it so I'm just going to document it here for future reference and to help anyone else who might need it.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert in anything, this worked for me, beyond that you'll need to do your own research.

Taking it from the top, (although I already had gnome-control-center and gnome-online-accounts installed) the magic incantations to be entered into the terminal are:

sudo apt install gnome-control-center

and

sudo apt install gnome-online-accounts

To fix the error I had to do:

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends gnome-shell-common 

After which running

env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center

in the terminal opened the Gnome Control Center without chucking up any errors and I could use the Online Accounts section to (re)setup my Google and Microsoft accounts as previously.

 

As an extra step I added a launcher on my desktop and in the settings menu for quicker access.


If I were much cleverer I expect I'd be able to make that open Gnome Control Center directly rather than via the terminal but as a double-click solution it's good enough for me.

 

No comments: